Adapted from: Tamar Adler (Fine Cooking)
Prep time: 40 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 50 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 10 minutes
For the Eggplant:
3 medium eggplants, sliced into ¾ inch thick rounds
5 tbsp. EVOO
1 pint cherry tomatoes
1 tbsp. fresh rosemary, coarsely chopped
For the Cucumbers:
1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
½ English cucumber or 2 small Kirby cucumbers, peeled in strips and halved (sliced ½-inch thick)
fresh lemon juice as needed
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
¼ cup pine nuts, toasted
pita or crusty bread (optional)
1. Roast the eggplant and tomatoes: Season the eggplant slices generously with salt and put them in a colander in the sink to drain for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, position oven racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and heat the oven to 450ºF.
3. Tap the colander against the side of the sink to remove excess moisture and salt. Transfer the eggplant to a large mixing bowl, toss with 4 tablespoons of the olive oil, and let sit for ﬁve minutes to absorb the oil.
4. Lay the eggplant slices in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet. In a pie plate, combine the cherry tomatoes with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, the rosemary, and ¾ teaspoon salt.
5. Put the eggplant on the upper oven rack and the tomatoes on the lower rack. Roast the eggplant until light golden and beginning to soften, about 10 minutes. Flip and roast until completely soft and light golden, about 15 minutes more. Roast the tomatoes until many have collapsed, 40 to 45 minutes. Transfer the eggplant and tomatoes to separate containers and let cool.
6. To make the cucumbers, combine the shallot, vinegar, and ½ teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Let sit for 10 minutes to soften the shallot. Add the cucumber(s) and mix well. Season to taste with lemon juice and more salt.
7. Spread the yogurt in the bottom of your bowl and top it with the eggplant, tomatoes, and cucumbers. Sprinkle with the nuts, drizzle with olive oil, and eat with pita or crusty bread. Serve and enjoy!