Adapted from: Martha Stewart
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
8 ½-inch thick eggplant slices
2 tsp. olive oil
1 large red bell pepper
4 slices ciabatta bread
2 tbsp. pesto
1 cup baby arugula
¼ cup soft goat cheese
1. Preheat broiler
2. Place the eggplant slices in a single layer on a foil-lined baking pan, brushing both sides of eggplant with olive oil.
3. Cut the bell pepper in half lengthwise, being sure to deseed pepper and remove the membrane. Place the bell pepper halves on baking sheet with eggplant slices; ﬂatten peppers with your hands.
4. Broil veggies for 4 minutes. After that time, ﬂip the eggplant (but leave peppers) and broil for another 4 minutes.
5. Remove eggplant from your pan and broil the bell pepper for 7 more minutes, or until blackened.
6. Place bell pepper in a sealed ziplock plastic bag. Let stand for 15 minutes, then peel the bell peppers and discard the skin.
7. Broil or toast the bread slices until they’re lightly browned.
8. Spread 1 tablespoon of pesto on two of the bread slices. Load each bread slice, pesto side up, with 2 eggplant slices, 1 bell pepper half, and another 2 plant slices.
9. Toss the arugula with remaining tsp. of olive oil and black pepper. Divide mixture between two sandwiches.
10. Finally, spread 2 tablespoons of goat cheese on two remaining bread slices and place one slice to complete the sandwiches!